Sun Pat is the UK’s leading brand of peanut butter: a staple snack for hungry children returning from school. In 2015 OST won the contract from Hain Daniels, which owns the Sun Pat brand, to launch Sun Pat on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest and grow a highly engaging presence.
Sun Pat Peanut Butter
Our marketing strategy for Sun Pat was to tap into the love that millions of people across the UK have for the brand and use this to reach thousands more people, on a monthly basis. We started by exploring the simple preferences and nuances of eating peanut butter: Smooth or Crunchy? Toast or crumpet? These simple posts drove huge amounts of engagement (one attracted over 1,600 comments) and helped us to understand our audience.
During the first 6 months and with just a small tactical advertising budget we grew Sun Pat’s social presence to over 17,000 fans across all channels. Crucially, though, we were reaching 250,000 people each month and driving upwards of 20,000 engagements – building relationships with the British public and keeping Sun Pat front of mind.
Over the subsequent 12 months we developed a more sophisticated strategy to target, specifically, mums of active kids and highlighting the qualities of Sun Pat as ‘fuel’ for sporting activities. Alongside our creative content, including images, GIFs, videos and animations, we also developed a focused influencer marketing strategy, partnering with #UKRunChat, @Britmums and Olympic Gold Medal Winner, Adam Rutherford to help drive awareness.
By the end of 2016 Sun Pat’s social media presence was both the fastest growing and most engaged of all the peanut butter brands in the UK – and one of the most actively engaged of any FMCG brand.
- Developed and tested a highly successful social media marketing strategy.
- Reached around 500,000 UK consumers with branded content each month.
- Drove over 25,000 engagements with UK consumers each month.
- Engaged with scores of celebrities and sporting stars to further brand awareness and positioning.
- With a very limited budget, built a thriving community of 30,000 fans across four social channels.
- Created the fastest growing and most engaged social media presence of all the peanut butter brands in the UK.